Oct 26, 2007

The Reds and Whites

Happy birthday to my brother, Roberto Rigoletto!! (yesterday)

I have been out of the loop for the past few days. The boss came back to the office and its been a whirlwind of work and kissin ass. Something that I've become better at over the past few years (but still have no real vested interest in).

It's been raining here the past few days. A cold front has moved in and its so refreshing and delightful! This is what autumn, October days are supposed to be about! So last night, after a tough day of work I went home to relax...and I spotted it.

From across the room I saw the 2 video VHS made in 1960-something classic. I'd been waiting for a dark, and cold dreary day to watch this movie. Dr. Zhivago. I'd seen another version before, but it was starring Keira Knightly. I mean she was just suPERB in pirates and pride and prejudice(read: nearly unwatchable) but I had a hard time taking her in that movie. Although, I love her in Love Actually. Maybe because she has a smaller part?

Anyway, Dr. Zhivago. I loved it. Winner of 5 academy awards. It's so loooong and telling and full of war and freezing, starving Russians. Not to say that I like watching people suffer, but there is something about the dismal "every song is in a minor key" land of Russia. I love epic type movies that follow people throughout their years of development. The beginning is full of so much hope, but also so many foreboding and dreadful events that you can figure out This is Going to Get a Little Complicated.

All the characters are so unrealistically beautiful, especially for people who are supposedly starving and freezing to death in the harsh winters during the civil war of the Bolsheviks and Mensheviks.


Maybe it goes back to my History major in college, but I love historic wartime. It's so interesting to watch the desperation and suffering that these wars support and cause. I always tend to wonder what makes a person rationalize killing people, especially innocent children and their parents. The brainwashing of soldiers has to come at some point, I just wonder when that happens.

Anyway 3 1/2 hours later, I have to recommend you all watch this movie. The old one, not the new version with Keira Skin-n-Bones Knightly. It will make you believe in the power of survival.

2 comments:

leslie said...

we both blogged about the weather! either we are really boring or really in tune with one another's cerebral waves.

wish i had watched that movie with you last night. maybe i'll play hooky from work one day soon to do it. no, i am not above playing hooky for reasons as simple as that.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or does Keira Knightly seem like she's a closet skank?!


...