Jun 6, 2014

Doughnuts

London, it's not you, it's me. Our doughnut vibes are just not on the same wavelength.

The Brits just LOVE their filled doughnuts. Shove some delicious cream or jam in there, and sugar the outside and you've done it.

But my doughnut love language is definitely a cake doughnut or a really good yeasted doughnut. I have yet to come across cake doughnuts here (business idea...or Doughnut Plant needs to open a London office), but at least they have the old standbys Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts if I'm just looking for a plain old glazed.

I've been waiting for about 8 months to try the legendary doughnuts from St. Johns Bakery, and finally made it over there this morning in honor of the beautiful and necessary US holiday, National Doughnut Day. We got 2 chocolate filled and 2 vanilla cream filled (they didn't have any jam). The chocolate doughnut was just not it for me. The chocolate filling itself was too heavy and the doughnut was slightly dried out, and the combo had me dying for some ice cold milk. The cream doughnut was better, because the vanilla custard was much lighter than the heavy chocolate. But the doughnut was still dried out! How could this be, legendary doughnuts!

I did a little research and it turns out the head pastry chef recently left St Johns (GASP) to start his own venture. So guess who will be headed to Borough Market (hopefully tomorrow) to try the doughnuts from new Bread Ahead from chef Justin Gallatly. I know they will still be filled, but I'm hoping they can make me believe in the Brit doughnut.


No comments: