Sep 26, 2008

lettuce ponder

Whenever it rains outside, one of two things happen.
1. I get really sad and mopey and want to sit around listening to radiohead or kate nash.
2. I get mad because usually the days it rains are the days I have off school (or work).

Yes, well, today is number 1. I managed to get out of the house, but only to go shopping (TH, don't judge me if you are reading this). Then this really great song came on while I was walking down the street and I felt like running, like I was in a music video or something. I looked around and saw the street full of people. Nobody would care if I ran. People are in a hurry all the time in this city. So I just broke out in a sprint, the rain pouring down my face and clinging to the curls in my hair. I felt free and I felt very much alive. I really like running in the rain.

Tonight are the debates and I want to watch, but not sure if I will. Politics can be a contentious subject (obvs) and I want to have a fun night tonight because dunh dunh DUNH! TH is in town. We had fun last night sitting by the window at an italian cafe, watching the neighborhood pass by. I had the yummiest pizza and TH gourdged himself on spaghetts. And then Yolato for dessert! Birthday cake gelato and strawberry fro-yo. Delish.

I think it is prudent to advise you if you ever visit New York, you have to try garlic knots. They are a gift sent from above and I don't know what I'm going to do without them when I have to move. I should do a post about good things of this city. Hmmm. Yes.

Ok last item of business: TH.
TH and I have been dating for...oh...like 9 months cumulatively. That's just officially. Off the record, we've been "in it" for about 1.5 years. Thats a long time! Even 9 months almost beats my longest record. Suffice it to say, we really like each other. But him living in DC and my living in NYC is ridiculously hard. Long distance is really tough, but it makes seeing him even that much better. I don't feel like I ever take the time we spend together for granted, and everything we do is so fun, whether its walking around, going to museums, or even just watching Friends (which we do a lot). Anyway the point is - we really enjoy being with each other. The "not being with each other" part is not as fun though. Has anyone ever been in an LDR? If so, any sage words of wisdom to share with yours truly?

7 comments:

AmandaStretch said...

I did a Utah to DC once. My best advice? Keep talking/communicating/being honest. Sounds like y'all are doing great so far!

Eric said...

I would just like to point out that you don't have to live far away from each other to be in a long distance relationship. Laura and I are married and we're in a long distance relationship. It comes from trying to ignore each other, waking/sleeping at different times, staying away from physical affection, etc. It is tough work, but we make it happen. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you have a normal relationship, you just have to realize it. If you were with him all the time, you'd probably hate him. Make the good times matter.

This is why Arby's is so damn good. You can't go there every day and expect it to give your mouth an orgasm every time. But if you plan it out... wow. It is spectacular. This teen heartthrob is your 5 for $5. Talk to him on the phone, webcam, IM, and text. Plan for the times that he does come, and make it worth it for him to come visit (usually sexually oriented). You are clearly at a point where the bigger picture is within grasp. You just have to realize that you have what you have always wanted, you just have to tweak it to perfection.

Either that or this was all bull shit. In that case, tell him that if he really loves you, he'll move. Pretty sure that he'd move.

Jay and Heath said...

I totally hear ya on the long distant thing. Keep doing what you're doing and make the best of your time together. Not seeing each other just makes it that much better when you do. Just like Eric was talking about... you know.. 5 for $5. Perfect comparison :) Love ya girl!

The Sullengers said...

As you know, Kash and I dated long distance the entire time, but I hear you - when you are together it is a blast and you don't take it for granted. It will work! It just takes a little extra effort!

Sokphal said...

Nine months--congrats! I'm still in awe on how long K and I have been together. How long is a LDR? I live in Vienna and Kev lives in Fairfax and on those weeks where we only get to see each other twice a week...I feel like we're in a LDR. :) It akes effort on both parties to make it work--seems like you guys are doing great!

Ms.LMC said...

Well I can't give you any good advice because I did a long distance, and it turned out horrible. However, I think a great way to deal would be to hang out with you good friend LC because we will be near each other soon!

Julie said...

Thank you so much everyone for your advice!! I forget how many of my friends were in LDR's before they got hitched. It's nice to know it works out from time to time. :)

Spew - thanks for that. I will be wearing my best pair of sweatpants next time TH comes for a visit.

Heddo - at what point did you guys move in before you were hitched? :)

Sokphal - yes, i'd say not seeing someone the entire week counts as an LDR. It sucks.

LC can't wait to see you, too!