Jul 7, 2008

4 days fly by OR how i became a tourist in my hometown

I did a lot of nothing this weekend in DC. And we all know when I say nothing, what I mean is SLEEP. Oh man. I slept and slept and and napped and snoozed, etc. It was glorious. When I wasn't sleeping I was hanging out with various friends including, but not limited to:
Iggy!!! (complete with hardcore stitching and R2)
Tim with the glasses and the Nelson sisters! (Tim voluntarily engaged me in what may be the highest pick-up and hug since I was in my diaper days)
My family!! The lovely Murray, Gramma Deb Deb, Papa Mickey, and Murray and her betrothed

These pictures show Papa and Gramma looking at the phone because Brooklyn was calling to tell us about the fireworks she saw. She is 2. Oh and apparently, they are called Fi-merks. Jenny later was featured on the speakerphone, calling to give us some Lizzie updates. We're all so excited to have her family moving back to Virginia! I wish everyone would move back and live with Papa Mickey again. Just like old times. In that last picture - Murray's Betrothed is looking into her eye for a runaway dust particle - because they take care of each other and are SICKENINGLY adorable. I love you Murray, you know I do.

Also, there was a lot of hanging out with this one:It was a good weekend for the teen heartthrob fan club (me).

Two favorite stories from this weekend:

1. TH and I went to Arlington National Cemetery before church on Sunday. We wanted to go see L'Enfant grave on account of I just read a book about Pierre L'Enfant - the creator of the city DC - he lived an unappreciated life and was never truly recognized in his lifetime for his great achievements. We walked through the hoard of tourists in our Sunday best and made our way up the hill to the Gravesite. As I approached his grave, I had an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the beauty that had resulted from this one man's artistic vision. I walked over to the plaque which had a brief description of who L'Enfant was and what he did. I waited patiently until the tourist man who was reading the plaque noticed I was there and he moved aside so I could read. As he moved aside, Tourist Man looked at me and with a dismissive wave of the hand informed me, "Some French guy". Ha. Poor L'Enfant. Still ignored. Here's Tourist Man, surveying DC in all its glory.
2. Talent Night with my family. We decided to hold an impromptu talent night, wherein I played a Mozart Sonata on the piano ( I MISS playing the piano!), Murray sang a soprano solo - a Broadway song for which I aptly butchered the piano accompaniment, and Papa Mickey played a little diddy he recently learned on the guitar.



Some other favorite moments: Netherlands Carillon, Hall church, Friends marathons, Fireworks with friends in the rain, Delicious sushi from Uni sushi, making The Cookies with family.

Least favorite moment: The train ride home stuck next to Disgusting Farting Man. Some people have no shame.

6 comments:

Mary said...

I know you love me, Jules. And I feel very sorry for you sitting next to disgusting farting man. That stinks. Literally. I had so much fun when you were here! It was a blast! I'm sorry that we didn't get to hang out for longer, but after you left, dad and I kept singing and playing instruments. Then I partook of more of that delicious pasta and cookies. You are a huge ray of sunshine, Julsie. I lovey dovey love you!

JD said...

love it. adventures are always great.

Eric said...

That teen heartthrob makes me think that if he can win you over, maybe even my looks may get me somewhere. I hope it's Ontario.

modestmuse said...

OK, wow. I love that you and your sister look alike! And matching Chakos, hmmmm?? The first pic of you and "TH" is so cute and expressive and I like the colors. It almost looks like your hair is short, which would be cute. And how much talent does your family have?! I didn't know you play piano.

Julie said...

I do play the piano, mm. We should have a talent show among friends at the end of the summer. It's a fun dinner party idea! What would your talent be?

Spew, if you can make it in canada, you can make it anywhere. thats what ol frankie said, yeah?

modestmuse said...

I ... wish I had a talent! I don't think I do!! Sad. I like the talent show idea though.