Jul 21, 2008

Weekends in the heat

Man oh man if there was ever a time to live in Alaska for the summer, it would be right NOW. The heat from this past week has been growing exponentially suffocating. The heat made me do funny things. Things I wouldn't normally do. Take the following examples:

Friday night: For a fancy rooftop party hosted by this lady, a one-time muse of Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali, now a MORMON, I decided to dress up because pants was out of the question. I essentially wore a mu-mu because it is the airiest thing I own. The worst part? I wasn't even embarrassed because Ultraviolet was wearing the same thing. Twinners. (The penthouse apt was bought for her by Salvador Dali and overlooks the guggenheim and entire west side of NYC. It was seriously amazing.)

Saturday day: After putting the finishing touches on a kick-a$$ presentation for school, I headed out into the heat to go to the Siren Festival in Brooklyn. I took one step outside and realized I'd need a sec before committing to a day in the heat. I met up with a friend for late brunch and after sitting in an air-con restaurant, realized there was no way I'd be standing around in the heat (especially after only sleeping for a few hours the previous night due to Batman showing and early awakening for school-stuffs). So I DIDN'T GO TO FREE MUSIC FESTIVAL cause it was too hot. How lame am I?

Sunday: Last night I couldn't sleep. Our apartment is SO hot at this point. 4 days of increasingly warmer temperatures makes one want to dunk themselves repeatedly in the Hudson. It's that hot. So its 2 AM, I wake up in a sweat (even with the fan blowing full-blast right on me) and go to the shower. I take a cold freezing cold shower for about 10 minutes and then go back to my room, lie on the floor, and proceed to sleep until about 7 and (hot again) go into the living room and lie on the couch, falling asleep in front of the gigantic econo-size fan gripping a bottle of advil due to my heat-induced migraine. My roommates might think I'm crazy at this point. Or, conversely, they might completely understand. Hmm.

I tell you, no man or woman should be forced to live like this. Truth be told, I realize I'm NOT being forced, just being stubborn. Well, now that I've essentially lost all will to live, I am breaking down. I'm buying the AC unit. Ok? Yes, you were all right. I can't make it through an NYC without the aid of air-con. You win, I lose. I am no longer the stalwart, "nothing-affects-me" woman. The heat has humbled me. Now if you'll excuse me - I have to go down to my local appliance store and make a large purchase. Grrr. There go those new pair of shoes I was lusting after...

No comments: