Oct 19, 2008

Late night post that I should probably not post

I am a sad sack tonight.
During my first weeks at school

These past 3 weeks, these past 21 days, these past 504 hours...have been painful. I miss my TH so much and I won't be seeing him for at least a couple more weeks. Work is so busy for him and it is midterm season here at Gnomie Grad School, and therefore= no time to visit and catch up. This also means minimum phone time and I am feeling the distance now.

This might sound totally weird, but I can't help but wonder how much easier this would have been 75 years ago. When people didn't have cell phones to call at anytime of the day. Or text messages that are sent and not returned immediately. Or email, for goodness sakes. What if it were just me and TH, far away from each other, forced to send telegrams or lovey notes back and forth? There are so many mediums in which to connect, it is frustrating when I don't hear from any of these mediums (TH, this post is not about you being in any sort of doghouse, don't worry).

I sometimes think it would be easier to go without talking for a couple days, because I get so attached to TH so quickly. When I have him, I want to keep him. I don't want to give him back to Virginia. When we are talking on the phone, I don't want to hang up. I want to keep talking all night and if I wake up, I want him to be there to exchange some incoherent words with me.

Also the long distance takes away any sort of spontaneity. I mean, I can't just hop on a train and ride for 4 hours without telling TH I'm coming (I couldn't do that anyway. Too much work to do.) We can't wake up one morning and decide to drive upstate to take photos and go hiking and stop at farms along the way. We are limited in the things we do. It is hard.
Reliving the last time I got to spend time with TH. In Brooklyn.
This is hard.

I'm lucky this is October - my second favorite month. It is helping to keep my spirits up.

7 comments:

Sokphal said...

Awww--I feel your pain! I think in the spirit of Halloween, you need to carve a pumpkin...in the shape of TH's face! That way you will sort of have him with you for a few weeks longer...until it rots of course. Then you can throw it away. You two are cute. :)

modestmuse said...

Late-night comment:
Get married! That will solve all of these problems :) I meant to comment long ago on your post about the difficulties of having a long-distance relationship. I def considered Leesburg-Arlington (50 min. apart on a good day) a long-distance relationship. It was tough! Seeing each other once or even twice a week was not enough!! I also had a couple LDRs in the past that obviously weren't worth it, but it was tough at the time, too. But you two seem like the LDR is def worth it, and you are so sad when you're apart. For sure get married. That said, I meant to txt you this today: Neil and I were driving to a Civil War Reenactment this afternoon (something you can spontaneously do when you live under one roof) and somehow we started talking about gasoline or something, and Neil said, "I need to talk to M--- about this" and I said, "M--- I used to work with?" and Neil said, "No, M--- Teen Heartthrob." Whaaat? I was like, "How did you know he's Teen Heartthrob??" and Neil said, "You told me once, and I remembered." The things they remember. Anyway, he said TH told him about biodiesel companies going out of business or something, which didn't make sense to Neil, so yeah, sometime he wants to pick TH's brain on that one.

Julie said...

woah woah woah. half breed, you can't go around just dropping the m bomb like that. (someone might read it!! and be eternally and fervantly scared away!!)

sokphal, i'm jealous you found babies in trees. truly.

i'm a big fat baby when it comes to TH.

modestmuse said...

Whoops, sorry. I can totally delete the comment or you can if you want! :)

DeeAura said...

I like the pictures you take. They always say the same thing to me: "You need to move!" hahahha

Lindsay said...

You guys are adorable. Propose already TH!

Julie said...

lindsay, you are fired. :)