Jan 16, 2007

Let's cry it out together

Today was a long day. I left my house at 7:15 and didn't return until 6:45. I only logged in 7 hours of work, but was actually gone for a total of 11.5. Please, God, let these next two weeks pass like vacation weeks so I maintain partial senility.
When I got home, I found the house pleasantly empty. So I heated up some leftover curry and couscous and plopped down on the couch for some good entertainment via the telly. I ended up on the True stories Channel, where all the movies played are based on actual events. I watched Not Without My Daughter, starring the captivating Sally Field. The movie is about this American woman who somehow ends up in an Islamic marriage with some Iranian bastard and they have this cute little girl. Well, the marriage ends up being a very abusive relationship so Sally Fields tries to run away, but her husband watches her all the time, follows her every move. If he finds she did something inappropriate he hits her! In front of the child!

I'm pretty sure this movie debuted on the Lifetime Channel. It had that "I'm a woman overcoming extremely dificult circumstances" ring to it. I don't watch the Lifetime channel. The reason for this is the same reason I should've never turned on Not Without My Daughter. I cried thru the ENTIRE MOVIE. It's just that it is so hard for Sally to live and she is so isolated in a community where a husband rules with an iron fist and basically you are married to the culture, not to a human being. At one point, I was eating a cookie (another thing you do when you watch Lifetime movies) and I was like choking on the cookie because of the crying. My goodness, Julie, get it together!
Last time I watched Lifetime, it was a movie about a girl in her 20's with breast cancer. It was a Friday night and I had plans, but I ended up cancelling them and getting sucked, involuntarily I might add, into a night of hysterical sobbing and bouts of depression.
Why does the channel for women just want to make them cry all the time and look so gosh damn wussy? Men must be involved in this somehow...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura and I once closed the basement door so noone would know we were watching Lifetime's original movie "mom at sixteen". Eventually AJ came in and caught us. Then the other night I was watching "too young to be a father". I'm a sucker for the teen pregnancy shows.

Anonymous said...

You have caught on to our secret plan to control women through the unscrupulous use of Sally Field. There is no stopping men once we start the 24 hour Sally Field channel, which is a continuous loop of Not Without My Daughter, Places in the Heart, Steel Magnolias, A Woman of Independent Means, and Where the Heart Is. The world will be ours! Until we get bored and come crawling back to you. But, those two hours will be blissful.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh. For a second I was going to say that Sally Field is not in Where The Heart Is, but that 'man' must watch that movie frequently or loooooove Sally because she's only in there for like 5 seconds!!!

Anonymous said...

I rule. And IMDB may also rule. Don't question.

Julie said...

stop it, stop it, stop it!