Jun 19, 2013

I watched a movie last night

Safe Haven. It was sort of meh (saving grace was Fergie's hot husband), but it was about domestic abuse and it scared me.  It took me back to a very dark time in my life.

I know the feeling of being controlled in a relationship, and feeling stuck, and then finally having the courage to leave and being scared for your safety. It was a long time ago for me, but those experiences never fully leave you. You always remain very aware of the hurt and damage that other people can inflict and are wary of trusting others for a long time. Luckily I had a strong support network of family and friends who helped me out of it, and I happened to date a wonderful person afterwards who was a marriage therapist and helped me through my emotional recovery.

Over the next little while, I want to share some stories about that time in my life. I hope that is ok and I hope you can be sensitive to me trying to share a very personal and difficult part of my past. It took me over 10 years, but I finally feel strong enough to share. Everyone's journey to becoming a confident and self-assured person looks different, but I know my own strength is renewed when hearing from others.


2 comments:

hanner said...

<3

Emilie said...

Josh Duhmel's hair was weirdly cowlicky in that movie.