Feb 6, 2007

I asked for the news, not the weather


I try to get my news from different sources. One should never rely on a single news source to get an accurate portrayal of any situation.
So I read newspapers. The Washington Post, the Times if I can get my hands on a copy, and the local paper if available.
I read magazines. The Economist is a good one and sometimes I read Time magazine.
My main source of news comes from the internet, where I spend most of my time these days. I peruse cnn every day, but its always business as usual there. So I check the bbc and click on all the areas of the world. I really enjoy that feature. I have gotten into the habit of checking on the daily happenings of Ireland.

Oh, Ireland. The land of leprechauns. The land of "man who wouldn't leave his house that was falling apart". The land that my sister claims (she's a redhead, I guess they need an identity, too).

Ireland always has interesting stories that make me wonder what actually "happens" there. I mean, the silliest things make the news. Nothing really political, nothing about celebrities adopting third world babbies, nothing about global warming trends. Just straight up news.

Todays headliner was written about the seizing of 49 pitbulls to prevent attacks on humans. I really need to pay the ole country a little visit. I think it would be pretty easy, considering I could probably stay with some of my sisters relatives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my Super Natural Powers in Everyday Living class at Utah State we learned that the Irish believe in fairies. Not the homo kind like my old roommate, but the kind that come and kill you when you're not ready for them. My only advice is to always wear mosquito netting if you go there. I don't know if it will work, but maybe the fairies would respect your effort.

Anonymous said...

Gnomie, I know that you don't necessarily approve of my surf-culture inclinations, but I gotta say I have seen some great footage of the waves there. And some of my favorite surfers like the Malloy brothers are Irish. You take the surfing, and the 19th-century-esque Catholic/Protestant head-butting, and you've got yourself some news.

Anonymous said...

by the way thank you for moving the cow post farther down the page.

Anonymous said...

we all know that you get all your news from us weekly.