May 26, 2008

Day one: Success

Well, I have found it. For years I've been searching for the thing in my life that would make me feel complete. I am absolutely in love and I have found my soulmate. Dying to know who it is? Well, friends, its New York City. That's right. Gnomie + NYC = Tru Luv.

Who knew moving could be so enjoyable? I am loving New York. There are so many things about this city that make me happy. Let's begin.
1. Of course I'm starting with food. This is the single thing that can bring me happiness no matter the time of day or temperature outside. Without ever crossing any streets here are the following types of cuisine available to me:
Pizza (duh)
Indian (dot)
Sushi
Thai
Mexican
Falafel
Bagels (this deserves its own category, right?)
Hamburgers
Chinese
I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting, but COME ON. How have I been missing out on living in an area like this all my life? I feel like everything in my life has been leading up to this move to Manhattan. I love ALL of these cuisines. I'm going to get so fat.

Which leads me to
2. Walking. I walk everywhere without a car and without the desire to take the subway very far. Today I walked down to 90th and up to 125th, from the west end to central park. Probably a total of 3 hours. I loved it. Hopefully I can keep this up and not get fat with all the nations of cuisine as my neighbors.

3. Stoops. People actually hang out on the apartment stoops here. It's great. It's like A Bronx Tale. Today I walked by a group of old, wrinkled men and they were carrying on and laughing. When I passed, one of the men took off his derby cap saying "I take my hat off for you" and their group all stopped to watch me pass. Someone uttered the words "What beautiful knees", which was altogether the weirdest and most flattering thing I've ever heard. I love this city.

4. Central Park really is that great. I live about 3 blocks from the Park and today being memorial day, there were hundreds of people enjoying frisbee, bbq's, soccer, picnicking, making out, dog walking, running, biking, jumping rope, etc. I love that walking these 3 blocks to the Park takes me away from the most congested city I've ever lived in to tree-lined paths, large expanses of green grass, and minimal city noise. It's genius.

5. I am not even nervous for school tomorrow. Well, I mean I am a human, I am a little nervous, but its just excitement mainly.

What the hell was I so scared about? This place is great! I just can't believe it took me so long to find the love of my life. I can't wait to see what our children look like.

4 comments:

leslie said...

i miss you!

how are you ever going to decide which eateries to take me to when i visit?

also, this would probably be better in an email than a comment but i'm already here: my blog was on DCBlogs again. i'm so confused, like why is someone suddenly all into my blog? i never even write in it anymore. hahahahahahahah. oh DC you kill me. don't worry i'll use my powers for good (mostly!)

Sokphal said...

Didn't I say you'd love it?! One day and you're already hooked. It took me one month. You should hit the Strand if you already haven't. 18 miles of used books! Let me know when the wedding is.

modestmuse said...

I'm so happy you're happy there! It all sounds awesome. And you'll be a great host when I force a visit upon you. Good luck with school and tell us about it when you can.

Robby said...

Great to hear you're loving it - maybe you'll still have time to enjoy the sights and food once you're up to your ears in work for your grad program, haha.
And I've always thought your knees were one of your best features.