Nov 15, 2008

Alphabet City

Last night I wandered around forEVER in search of dinner. Josh and I finally decided on this small Venezuelan restaurant, Caracas, and delighted in passion fruit juice, guacamole with plantain chips, fried cheese and plaintains with molasses, arepas (corn-cake tortillas stuffed with fillings) with cheese, avocado, plantains, and black beans. Oh. So. Good.
It was worth the walking around and getting cranky. (It WAS, th!)
But side-note - I'd never really been to the Lower East Side portion of Manhattan. It is a scenester's paradise. People spilling out of every restaurant, bar, and art gallery around. Shops filled with pretty things and shoes I am coveting still today. I want to go back, but - lucky for my pocketbook - that area of town is kind of hard to get to. Subway, transfer, subway, walk, walk, walk.

There are some reasons to return, however. Katz's deli, the Angelica, Pomme Frites...TH, you ready?

(Oh you'll never guess what is coming in the mail in only a few short days!)

6 comments:

Joy said...

I love the Lower East Side. I've ate my way through there a couple of times, and can't wait to do it again.

Laura K said...

julie! i am a blogulite!

naomi megan. said...

sounds yummy. thanks for the link.
i agree about the les, i LOVE it but it's far... and i'm lazy.

Abby Rose said...

I love Caracas too!!! We should go there again some time.

modestmuse said...

the silver shoes?!

naomi megan. said...

something i just realized- your friend josh brown is my husbands old roommate. from 108th street. oh yes. small world.