Nov 13, 2006

Flex your gluteus. Come on, just flex it!

Working out is relative.

What one person considers a "good workout", another person may laugh and scoff at their minimal just-scraping-by effort.
I have been working out for atleast an hour for the past couple of weeks. I'm on a 3 day on, 1 day off rotation. It feels so nice to be back in the workout game. I think I'm pretty good at the game. Once I'm at the gym, my legs swiftly pace themselves on the treadmill, my arms want to push the tricep weightbar up and down. My body loves the muscle development. Hell, I love the muscle development. I get to the gym and want to keep working out, seeing that calories-burned counter go higher and higher. I love stretching afterwards. I love looking longingly at my Goal Jeans, the jeans I will fit into again when I've lost my secretary bum.

I love the gym.

But my motivation sucks.

I tell myself, just go to the gym, just put your shoes on and walk out the door. You can just take it easy today. Just turn on Oprah while you walk leisurly up the stairclimber. But, the beautiful thing is that once I'm at the gym, there is no such thing as an easy workout. I always want to push myself, because whats the point otherwise? So, the hard part is just convincing myself beforehand that I want to be at the gym. The easiest time to go is between 1 and 3 because thats the time when I have exhausted my piano playing skills, morning talk shows, and my job searching efforts have become null and void.

So, how do I find motivation once I get a job? I will be so tired every day and won't want to spend two hours every night in my gym time. Any suggestions? How do you guys do it?

4 comments:

leslie said...

you should do what i do. first i choose some relaxing music. Enya or MoTab do fine. i get into a really comfortable position- pillows work great for propping. then i carefully picture myself going through the motions of working out. i close my eyes and imagine myself running or lifting or whatever the case may be. it is just as good as actually working out. this is how Tiger Woods learned how to golf.

Julie said...

you have always been the smarter one out of the two of us.

Anonymous said...

i walk my fat a to school.

Anonymous said...

Well- I go through stages where all I want to do is workout and then there are times when I can't imagine going to the gym cause I am so tired, I agree - it is very hard to work full time and work out. In fact, last night I put on all my gym clothes but couldn't leave the house, so I did some gluteous maximus exercises at home. My one motivation (besides the jeans I longingly look at and the lingerie I wished I looked more sexy in :) is my friend who lost a lot of weight this summer and looks fabulous - she is my new motivation and being able to listen to my ipod - it is a life saver! I'm sure this doesn't make sense and didn't help, but I tried!