Nov 28, 2006

The secret of life

I sent out my resume to 25 companies today. 25! In one day!
And that is all I did today.
Except for when I went to The Movie Theatre and saw one of the best cinematic works of art I've experienced in some time.

The Fountain.
It didn't really get much hype, and from what I have read it has not been well received by the public. Which may be one of the reasons why I lapped up every frame (I like to cater to the underappreciated crowds. Except for K Fed, of course.) But - Hugh Jackman like I have never seen him before. The story was set in a 3 seperate spheres of time and space. A man and his cancer stricken wife, played beautifully by Rachel Weisz, try to find the secret formula for eternal life. (I always thought it was Book of Mormon + Good works x lots of boyfriends =eternal life. But whatever.) Izzy, the dying wife, is writing a book about the seach and discovery of the Tree of Life set in the time of the Spanish Inquisition. Tommy, played by Jackman, is a conquistador and Izzy is the queen of Spain who sends Tommy to the Mayan popluated New Spain to find the Tree. Then in the present, Tommy is working to find a cure for cancer in this monkey research lab where he works. He is simultaneously looking for a cure for his Izzy. In the future, Tommy is a bald man who spends his time in a heavenly sphere, next to a large tree, surrounded by images and words whispered from Izzy.

Sound confusing? Well, it was confusing. But the story line is not the reason I really enjoyed the movie.


The imagery created in the film was amazing. The music was a continuous driving intensity of orchestral buildup. Minor chords, notes left unresolved, a beautiful cacophony. It presented a perfect backdrop for the cinematic art that was the movie.
The colors were heavenly shades of yellow, white, and brown. In the future scenes, the sky was pulsating with stars, nebulas, and meteor showers. The tree that Tommy stood next to was a beautiful antique white that spiraled and cragged its way into the starry sky. He eminated light from his hairless body.

I could go on about how beautiful this movie was. Would I see it again? Definately. Would I recommend it? No. No, because this movie is not for everyone. If you want to really experience 90 minutes of moving art, please see it. But if you are looking for a movie that has excellent character development and dialouge, then seek elsewhere.

This movie is an experience. It will draw you in if you allow it to do so. It is a richly warm film about life and the achievement of grace that we so often fail to accomplish within our lifetime. Sometimes you find comfort in events and experiences you would primarily believe to be hollow and devastating.

I loved the idea of drawing together themes of nature and the fraility of life in this movie. It was very subtle, but beautifully accomplished. The idea that finding youth is still in nature and the environment. Not in some botox injection or new pair of designer jeans.

Speaking of jeans, You know which commericials bug the hell out of me? Levi's jeans. Especially that one where the couple is standing in the middle of the stampede. And the Walk the Line commercial. Puh-lease. Those commercials are only going to stop people from buying Levi's. Well, atleast me anyway.

1 comment:

leslie said...

great. you've already seen it. where does that leave me? what if i want to see it- who will i go with????