Mar 15, 2007

Being a vegetarian is hard during march madness

Yesterday and today were landmark days. I made an incredible realization. I went to a bar for lunch yesterday with "the boys". Then I went to another bar for lunch to watch the games. Of course, The Bar is an excellent place in which to mingle, grab a pint, and watch The Game on the bigscreen. Who doesn't love that? Games? Fun! Mingling? Fun! Grabbing things? FUN!

However, being a non-meat eater, I must focus on the menu portion of the experience in order to get sustinance and satiate my hunger. So what can you get to eat at The Bar if you are an herbivore? Well, there are many things!! There is the house salad, usually served with tomatoes and onions (and carrots today!!!). There is the ceasar salad with big croutons and creamy thick artery clogging dressing. There is the artichoke and spinach dip! Oh and don't forget the side order of fries!!

For the second day in a row I had a house salad. It wasn't very good. It was expensive. The lettuce was wilting. I don't even like salad that much, despite what an old boyfriend thought. I made both of us do these silly surveys to see "how well we knew each other". Horrible, horrible time. He didn't know me at all! And whats worse is that he thought my favorite food was salad!! Who's favorite food is salad? How boring.

Anyway after my recent rise in salad intake, I realized that this is the very reason vegetarians are misunderstood. "This" meaning people who eat large quantities of meat usually also like sports. (I'm not going to generalize at all here. This is all cold, hard, proven fact.) People who like sports, like to hang out in Sports Bars. Sports bars put salads on their menu for the health conscious, not for vegetarians persay. So all the people that go to these Sports Bars or these American "good ol boy" restaurants think that the only thing available to vegetarians are gross, yucky, wilty salads! They are so silly, those meat-eating-sports-loving-salad-hating people.

2 comments:

Idaho Rob said...

Why are you a veggie eater only?

Anonymous said...

aka.....dad