Jul 6, 2007

The 7th inning stretch



Baseball.

Nothing says summer like an evening baseball game on a school night. Tons of people from all, i mean it ALL walks of life to join in on one of America's favorite past times. We all cheer together. We all wave our respective teams' baseball caps together. We all stand up for the 7th inning stretch. We all marvel at how the guy in the checked blazer matches his hot dog paper. It makes you feel like a kid again and remember the good ole days of no bills, late night baseball games in the backyard, and catching lightning bugs in a mason jar.

Last night the Cubs beat the Nationals and it was a swell game. Fly balls flew into the crowd in great abundance and one came within mere seats of us! It's hard to be in a bad mood a baseball game, even if your head feels like its going to explode from recent wisdom tooth extraction.

But the thing which interested our particular group the most was the song played when each player walked up to bat. It seemed to us as though each player was able to pick his own song to get him fired up for the impending home run hit. Which of course led us to the next discussion: If you had your choice of song for batting, what would this song be?

Aaron's was some AC/DC song. Maybe Hells Bells. I could see that. Its a powerful song. It gets you fired up, I'm sure. I mean the crowd could really get into it.
Mark's song was Welcome to the Jungle. A surefire way to get you in the mood to smack the crap out of anything. Definately a good homerun song.
My song was a Django Reinhardt tune because I've been in the jazzy 30's mood lately. And baseball games remind me of that era in particular. I don't know how the crowd would feel, but I would surely hit a home run every time.

Iggy's song was by far my favorite. She went with the old standard "Fields of Gold" by Sting. So Classic!
Why didn't I think of that? Could you imagine every time you walked out to the field to bat, some ballad coming on that belongs on afterhours with Glen Hollis, dedicated to Mallory from Steven and he hopes you know how much his love burns for you...you get the idea. Well done, Blodgetron.

So lets hear it. What would your homerun hitter song be?

7 comments:

leslie said...

oh glenn. if candles in the studio can work for you, just think what they could do in the dugout. or the oval office. god bless america.

Idaho Rob said...

8 second ride by Chris Ledoux may his soul rest in peace

The Sullengers said...

I would probably use some Evanescence song -they are always moving to me!

Eric said...

These are the types of questions that keep me up at night. I have a hard time with one, so I will go with five:
Hysteria by Muse
Bawitdaba by Kid Rock
Lose Yourself by M&M
Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC
Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangster by Ghetto Boyz

I also think that I would have specific theme music. If I were up in the 9th inning with runners on 1st and 3rd and down by two, I would have them play Hero of the Day by Metallica. If they put me in to specifically steal a base, I would use Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson. On breast cancer awareness day, I would use Uptown Girl by Billy Joel. If I were facing a foreign pitcher, I would use American Way by The Crystal Method. Conversely, if I were a foreign player facing an American pitcher I would want I'm Afraid of Americans by David Bowie and Trent Reznor. And my backup song for everything would be Free by VAST. I actually had a lot more, but I will keep it with those.

Eric said...

Dammit, I forgot We Like to Party by the Venga Boys. That song is perfect for every situation.

Anonymous said...

If I were a guy i would go with big balls by ac/dc. Ok, I'll just go with it anyways.

Anonymous said...

May It Be by Enya