Oct 2, 2007

Rocktober 1st - Carol Bui@The Black Cat

Carol Bui is a beautiful and extremely talented lady. She had her CD release party last night of Everyone Wore White, and celebrated turning 26.
So we ate chocolate birthday cake as we nodded our heads to the lyrical stylings of Carol. Miss Bui if you're nasty.

Carol opened her show last night with a vocal solo of a traditional Vietnamese song. It was perfect to engage the listeners and familiarize them with the reachings of her voice. Carol is a mix between a more resonating Fiona Apple, a higher voltage Rachel Yamagata, and maybe a more post-punk version of Joni Mitchell. I only give the Joni reference because she does a great job crafting her songs and lyrics.

The show went on late for a school night. Library Chick, Iggy and I quickly went from looking like this:
To this:

Carol kept us awake and entertained by singing a few older songs from previous CD's but she mostly stuck to her new songs. Her sound is really haunting, dark at times, but the rich vocal tones and the cello keep her music from sounding like a neolithic skeleton parade. Any time there is a cello in the band, there is a strong to quite strong possibility that I will love your band. Her band was really powerful and they played really well together. Carol is another emerging artist on the DC scene with comparisons to Mary Timony and Jeff Buckley. Give her a listen. She'll rock your world.

3 comments:

leslie said...

i'm like the kid pretending to be asleep that you know is faking it cuz i'm smiling. also, if i wear my magic sunglasses, or go stick my head in the sand, nobody can see me. also i refuse to eat broccoli and i really want to wear my fairy wings.

i love your review! although not sure what you mean by neolithic skeleton parade.

hey i finally got to listen to the le loup cd, remembered to put it on my ipod last night. it's really really really different from their live show. i definitely still like it but it is a different type of experience. will discuss more later when i see you.

love,
iggy

Jenny said...

I really like her sound, good find, great review, and I know I've missed the first couple of events, but I still want to be a part of rocktober.

Anonymous said...

so glad to see you're living it up in the city! rockit for all of us who have little gigglers to put to bed at 7:30.