Oct 11, 2007

Rocktober 9th - Josh Ritter@9:30 Club

Thank you SO much for bein here with us taniiiight!! This is the biggest show we've ever had in the States. This is so excitin'.
--Josh Ritter


Was I prepared for the madness of a Josh Ritter show earlier this week? No. No, I was not. I knew he was from Idaho, but I had no idea he had retained his Idaho roots with such fortitude. In between his hootin and hollerin, Josh regaled his captivated audience with tales of potatoes, writing songs to potatoes, naming potatoes, and riding a lawn mower home with an older cheating lover.

Josh came on stage with a smile as wide as Nebraska and it rarely left his face throughout the 1 1/2 hour set. His energy was extremely contagious and he played with a seemingly drug-induced happiness the entire time. But, Josh was not on drugs, I'm 99% positive. After studying him for awhile, I realized he was just a geeky Idaho hick boy who was all riled up to be sharing his music with his newfound friends. Seriously never have I seen any musician so excited. They're usually so subdued and trying to play it cool. Josh, however, had no business in involving himself in this charade. Loved it.

The music was amazing. He really knows how to paint a picture with his words. He is an amazing lyricist and his band plays really well off one another. There were even some saxaphones and trumpets for a few songs, which made the entire experience that much more enjoyable, because I felt like I was watching Home Alone and Kevin McCallister was having his fake party in the house, moving all the Dancers like a well-trained puppet-master. Jingle Bell Rock, ya'll.

Anyway, if Josh ever blows through town, don't miss the opportunity to see him. Thoroughly entertaining, introspective, and slap-yer-knee rockin good time.

Rocktober gives Josh Ritter 9 out of 10 stars.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm listening to Harrisburg right now....sigh. Such a great musician. I'm jealous you went to the show and want to be properly inducted into the rocktober crew before I miss any more great shows.

Anonymous said...

I always spell it potato but actually I prefer french fries.


...

Anonymous said...

ah, yes...josh is very charming and great at making EVERYONE think they're the most wonderful audience on record. the jury is out for me now on how genuine it actually is, given some outside-of-the-show stuff i've seen...but who knows. he and his girlfriend, dawn, both put out good music...regardless.