Jun 17, 2008

Sleep is just a number

Um, yes, hi. So what is the secret to getting to bed at "a decent hour"? I was in bed at 11:30 tonight and I've just been doing the toss and turn thing and it is now nearly 1 AM. I have THINGS TO DO tomorrow, body. Just go to sleep already. For the past week I've been wanting to run in the mornings so I set my alarm for an ungodly hour. By the time I doze off to sleep however, I know there's absolutely no way I will be waking up to run in the morning and still have time to take a girl shower and leave my house by 8:30. So instead I end up pressing snooze about 10 times and have a miserable morning. I've never been an early riser. Just ask my brother.

Robby, do you remember early morning seminary? The only way I ever even made it to 6 AM bible study was knowing if I missed a day I couldn't go out on Friday night. And if I missed 2 days, no going out at all. My father played cruel, cruel jokes on me as a teenager. He knew my weak spots and attacked when necessary. (Though I can't hold it against him that much, on account of I turned out okay and he took me shopping nearly every week - which actually was most likely the beginning of my current habitual shopping problem. Now that I think about it.) Anyway, where was I? That was one hell of a tangent. Oh, yes. Early morning seminary. Whoever thought this up must have a death wish for teenagers. I showed up most mornings with curlers in my hair and spent the majority of class either 1. sleeping 2. putting on makeup or 3. eating donuts. Not all bad.
I do remember crying at the seminary videos, though. I'm very sensitive in the mornings. If you ever want sympathy from me, hit me up in the mornings. Apart from my kitten breath, I'm much more approachable and emotionally connected.

But I seriously digress. Robby, my diligent seminary-going brother was late to class practically every morning due to my inability to get out of bed before 5:45 AM (seminary started at 6AM, ended at 6:50). We were doing good if we got there at 6:20, not even that bad if we arrived at 6:30. I know this made him upset, but he didn't show it too often. I love you Robby! You're a great brother. Sorry I made you late for seminary, but I think we both turned out ok. You're a well-adjusted husband and father and doctor-in-training. And I'm a stressed out college student who STILL can't wake up in time for the important things in her life. Some things never change.

Like, do you still love orange soda and mini powdered donuts?? I would kill for a mini donut right now.

4 comments:

leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
leslie said...

i have a few questions for robby too. like do you still check the underside of the sprite lids to see if you won a free sprite? do you still make the blueberry muffins that have the crumbly sugar on top? do you still have killer gas? do you still drive the aries? etc etc. it's been too long, friend!

Anonymous said...

You are clearly under medicated. That will fix the sleep issues right away.

Robby said...

ahh, early morning seminary. The place I realized that my dreams and salvation could be ruined by someone other than me. So much time wasted....
The only time it ever bugged me was if they had donuts or treats before class started and we missed out on the best goods. Which was...rarely, if ever.
Miss you Jules!! Study hard!