Dec 1, 2008

I just can't get enough.

What is it lately? A lot of my friends who have been in successful and seemingly loving relationships have been splitting up and getting back together. It's an on-and-off love like my relationship with Monster Energy drink. I can't say I'm not also a dabbler in the on-again off-again relationship, but it is hard to see your friends go through it. You know they are both good people and you like them both a LOT individually, and together as a dynamic duo. But as my friend Bone put it - she's a hot chick, he's a good-lookin dude, why don't they hook it up?!

I know it feels satisfying to achieve some sort of equilibrium (especially given that it is nearly impossible to achieve this simultaneously) and I hope each couple can do this, or at least have the courage to give it up altogether. Which can be hard to do, I get that.

Also recently, lots of people close to me are getting engaged and pregnant. Some of these engagements are not surprising, but most of the pregnancies are. Having a baby is such a scary thing - I can't imagine bringing a baby into this recession, especially as a single mother. It always astounds me when people are grown-up enough to make these kinds of decisions. If I were faced with a decision like this, I'd most likely shut down, cry for weeks or months, or just pretend it wasn't happening. Healthy, right?

Anyway one of these people who are engaged (or close-to) is my sister. That makes 5 out of 6 of my family married/engaged. That makes me The Last Child Standing. Terrifying? Relieving? Empowering? More on this later.

3 comments:

Sokphal said...

I think you should get pregnant and then engaged. I'm a big fan of the element of surprise. :) You are too cool. Next time I am in NYC we need to hang and you can help me eat my way through NYC!

Megan Andrea said...

i love your blog and like to pretend i am as cool as you when i read it. then i tell people things like "don't see four christmases i hear it is totally lame" and then they say " where did you hear that?" and i say, "everyone who is cool know that show looks so lame." then i look cool. so thank you. my word verification was tater-not the coolest.

Lindsay said...

Eh just join the club already!