Sep 15, 2009

having trouble sleeping.


i couldn't fall asleep last night.

remember when you were a kid and you knew you were going on a field trip or to a theme park the next day, and you just couldn't settle your mind down to go to sleep? well...i'm 7 all over again.

i am so looking forward to this trip. my first trip since finishing grad school. my first vacation since nicaragua 1.5 years ago. my second trip with TH (third if you count london. first was new mexico).

i think the most exciting part is that i really have no idea what to expect. sure, i've been researching and reading my lonely planet, but i still feel like this trip is such a wild card. i'm usually such an AR planner, but because this trip had to be planned by two, and TH is not plagued by the same need to plan as i, it's all very much up in the air. besides my heart palpitations and dizzy sweats, i'm excited that we have no plans. (did it read like i'm freaking out? cause i'm not. nope, i'm juuuust fine.)

and a trip with the boyfriend is so badly needed, too. our parents are both kind of like - uhhmmmm are other people coming with you to chaperone? and we're like - puhlease we are in our late 20's and old enough to make our own decisions on cohabitation travel. (but inside i'm like - wait, SHOULD we bring other people with us? the need to please my parents is deeply ingrained in me, what can i say.

tomorrow we fly out of nyc, so we are taking the train up a bit early to have about 3 hours to play in new york. then its an early thursday morning arrival in Reykjavik. i'm so so excited!

4 comments:

Sokphal said...

It's like the old saying goes: "what happens in Reykjavik stays in Reykjavik!" Haha! Have fun!

hanner said...

Let me say again that I am jealous. I love vacations. And Robbie and I never really told our parents about unchaperoned trips... maybe we should have thought about that, haha.

And the thing about places that are just beautiful is that all you want to do is go and enjoy how beautiful it is. Well, that's how Oslo was for me, at least. I just wanted to love on the parks and the weather and the blondes.

L to the I to the Z said...

I hope you don't mind me stealing that image for my desktop background, 'cause it's already done. And also, I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea to treat myself to a trip to Iceland after I finish grad school, 'cause I will start planning NOW. So jealous. Have a BLAST! Duh.

Kim Gardner said...

I found your blog! AND I'm so excited you guys are going on this trip.

All I know about Iceland is from Mighty Ducks 2 when the opposing coach (from Iceland) says something like: "Greenland is covered with ice and Iceland is very nice." It's supposed to help you remember that Iceland is awesome, but really you could easily switch the two up and it would still rhyme so in the end, not that helpful. Anyway, live it up. Can't wait to see the pics.