Mar 19, 2008

The Neighborhood - Riding the Bus

Part 2 in a series of posts about my neighborhood.

Every morning I have 2 choices. Take the bus through the ghetto (30-45 minutes) to get to work or take the bus through the other ghetto and catch the train (25-35 minutes)to get to work. Actually I suppose I have 3 choices - the 3rd being sleep in.
Anyway, it's never a dull moment on either bus. Sometimes I take the longer bus ride just for kicks - it's just that fun.

Allow me to share some bus stories. Sit back! Relax! Grab a cuppa joe...

Bus Story #1: The books
This isn't so much one episode- rather a reoccurring theme of the bus rides.
People read some interesting books on my bus. I don't mean interesting like 100 years of solitude or a biography on Genghis khan. I mean interesting like this: and this:
I seriously need to start a book club for Ghetto Lit. I'm sure these books must be a fascinating look inside the minds of my peers and neighbors. Or at least the fantasies they have. I'm sure when they see me reading High Fidelity, they just shake their heads and laugh at the middle aged white man on the cover. I'm severely uncool.

Bus Story #2: The Glaring Woman
Some people are very slow entering and exiting the bus. It creates a line where impatient people, like myself, get perturbed and the foot tapping begins. The other day an elderly woman made her trek on the bus. It took her about 5 seconds to go up each step and 10 seconds to put her money in the machine. She stopped in the aisle after she put her money in and I thought she was going to stay in that spot for the duration of the bus ride. I had already deposited my bus fare and so I tried to scoot around her. Well apparently she had been getting her purse in order because at the precise moment I tried to scoot around her she started walking down the aisle. She stopped dead in her tracks and gave me The Stare-down to Top All Stare-downs. Oh, I'm sorry ,I said politely. She shook her head and muttered something under her breath that SHE IS LUCKY I didn't hear. I don't take muttering very well, although it is something I've nearly perfected. But something about that stare and that muttering - I felt so ashamed for the entire bus ride and couldn't even look up from my Nick Hornby book. Now that is shame.

Bus Story #3: The Crazy Man
Now occasionally I will sit next to a crazy person on the bus. The other day it was an African Crier. She cried and cried and whispered things to herself in a foreign language for an entire 20 minute bus ride. Should I have said something to her? I didn't. I just turned up my iPod - I'm empathetic like that. Anyway I sat next to a man last night who was staring at my iPod the entire bus ride until finally he started talking to me about it. We discussed the different iPod varieties and all the pro's and con's of each. He told me about his boyfriend who bought him a shuffle and how he thinks maybe his boyfriend doesn't really love him or else he would've bought him a 160g video iPod. I had to agree with him there - I mean bigger is ALWAYS better, am I right ladies? Actually he wasn't even that crazy - I wasn't scared for my life like I have been with other Bus Friends. He was cute and funny. He even helped me with a game of iPod solitaire.

You see why the bus is so great? You find new and interesting books and genres or fiction. You become humbled. You make new friends. And you never stop wondering Why Does it Smell Like That? or Will I Puke On This Bus Ride? Ahhh, the bus. Truly God's proof that he loves us.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

LOVED this post!
Hope all is well.
Jodi

AG said...

MAN! Can I just tell you I laughed my pants of on these last 3 posts! - Very Funny!, Very Funny!

Jenny said...

I so get that! I have the same experience everytime I take the bus from Ballston to Crystal City after school. It is a lesson in ghetto 101, there's always some crazy yelling on the bus, a bunch of hoodlums in the back and I hate to admit it but I usually avoid busting out my ipod or anything else that I want to keep after I get off the bus.