Mar 27, 2009

Cherbourg and Normandie

Then we took a train to Cherbourg. Its an old war town, and we saw one of the first French nuclear submarines. It was very big and very terrifying, as I usually tend to think machines of the sea. We toured a nuclear reprocessing plant. It was also very big and very terrifying. And also incredibly cool. The energy nerd in me shed a tear for the miracle of science as I stood next to spent nuclear fuel rods with nothing between us but a 3 meter glass and lead panel, protecting us from its lethal rays.
We stayed here for a day, then back to Paris, where we caught a high speed train to the south. The train went 185 miles, and only took an hour to get to south east France. Amazing.



2 comments:

Jenny said...

You are a very talented photographer. Your photos of Europe are all amazing. I hope the job search is going well and we look forward to having you back in d.c. (and at energy lunch)

Eric said...

I contemplate posting about the new fish stick hot dog at Wienerschnitzel and you post great photos of a kick ass Europe trip. You've moved up to number 3 on my coolest person I know list.