Jan 28, 2008

weekends without iggy

As you may or may not know, Iggy is my bff. She's my go-to, my friend on the weekends, my lunch friend, my tete-a-tete friend, my friend with whom to eat mounds of popcorn, etc. You get the picture. We're old friends.
Then there are other friends I have who join mine and Iggy's social endeavors and occasionally join me in song, dance and general merriment.

Well...apparently this past weekend was travel weekend and I missed the memo. Nearly everyone I know (read: 3 people) were out of town this past weekend and I was left to sob in the wake of their departure. I knew it was coming, however, and I prepared myself. I had 3 fresh movies from Netflix - 2 tearjerkers and an action packed thriller with my girl, Sydney Bristow Jennifer Garner. I gathered some recipes together for a practicing my Giada skills. I scheduled some appointments to fill up my days. And miracles of miracles...I actually had a super fun weekend!

Friday:
After work I came home and popped in The Kingdom. It was an ok film, even though Michael Bluth's presence was really screwing with me. I enjoy a good politically charged action flick- this one was your run-of-the-mill Hollywood flick. I mean, Jamie Foxx was in it so you know it's gonna pack that certain something into the brainwashed movie-going crowd. Later I met up with my friend, Ron. We made Rowlett cookies and went to a Mormon party, complete with trampoline where I saw Bone Malone, Jeremy Ryn, Jenny, and my old childhood friend Dan Kirk (to name a few). It was fun and the cops came because of all the devil music playing in the background. They were mighty surprised to find a bunch of sober twenty-somethings dancing and jumping on an indoors trampoline. I would even go as far as to say they wanted to join in, but who wants a bunch of pigs spoiling their party?
So Friday? Success.

Saturday:
Showed the apartment to a couple of girls who I pray and pray will sign the lease today. They seem very cool, especially for a craigslist find. Called my momma and had a nice conversation. Made some money (read: returned some clothes to H&M). Went grocery shopping for quinoa salad ingredients. Met up with childhood friend Dan for pseudo-date (we can't call it a date because we're kind of related. He is the brother of Abby's mother. My brother married his sister.) We saw The Bucket List (cried!), had an adventurous sushi dinner (I tried sea urchin which is basically a salt water gelatinous mass of disgust - cried again), then went back to my house, made some tea and wrote our own Bucket Lists. I was surprised at my 9 choices - and I've got some work to do to have a fulfilling life.
Saturday: Success.

Sunday:
Whoops - slept through church. Went shopping for new underwears. Discovered I'm never going to Victoria's Secret again because they have trashy cheap stuff that is ridiculously overpriced and never fits me properly. I'm exploring other options. Met up with Ron again to eat noodles. Made some delicious quinoa salad with red peppers and sweet corn and a lime-cumin dressing. Watched Shenandoah - a great old movie starring Jimmy Stuart as a Virginia farmer during the civil war. Netflix said it was a 4-hankie movie (whatever netflix) and I actually did cry at the end. It was great and I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes war, fist-fights, love advice, jimmy stuart, and horse violence. Seriously though - watch it.
Sunday: Success.

I guess I learned this weekend that if all my bff's go out of town, I can use the time to get in touch with old friends or people I don't see that often. And get a lot of things off my to-do list. Laundry? Check! Clear netflix queue? Check! Call old friends? Check! Despite my preconceived notions of spending weekends without familiar people - I guess you could say I try to keep my glass half-full. Now if I could just find the person who took my bottle of Makers...

2 comments:

modestmuse said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend. Wish we would've connected. But you and your bff are ALL MINE in a couple weekends! I spent Fri. night through Sun. fending off severe chills, nausea and aches that appeared immediately after eating fried rice with scallops and pineapple. Allergy? Poisoning? Dunno. Sucked. Really good to see you living it up, and I don't mean that sarcastically.

leslie said...

aw,,,,,,,,, i feel so loved! and glad you had a fun weekend, love. and not at all jealous that you got to go to an official just-like-old-times tramp house party, because i did get to have a 3-person tramp house party with meg-n-neil a couple weeks ago. hmm, think we could fit a tramp in our new house?!! ok maybe we need to find our own party theme... but we will find it. oh yes we will. perhaps we can incorporate the bottle of Makers? haha!