Jan 2, 2008

New Year, New Post (channeling the carrie collection!)

After a much needed therapeutic holiday vacation, I feel rejuvinated! I feel ready to conquer! My teeth are sinking into 2008 and I'm really looking forward to a fresh start. 2007 was a growing year for me. Every year that passes, I honestly feel like I experienced the most growth of my life--which I see as a good thing. Change is scary, but very good and necessary.

Top Ten Highlights of 2007:
1. getting a "real job" {real meaning I have health insurance and a retirement plan}
2. becoming a DC resident and living with my bff, Iggy {although I'm beginning to rethink the high costs outweighing the good location. eeek.}
3. preparing for grad schools {actually taking the time to study for the GRE and make good contacts within the universities.}
4. increasing my cooking and baking skills {namely acquiring a pesto recipe and perfecting my scones recipe.}
5. summer reunion with my family and all the babies {i miss you guys!}
6. camping trip in shenandoah's {hiking, backpacking and using my new stove!}
7. becoming a car-less citizen and increasing my knowledge of local public transport.
8. visiting new mexico and learning how to contra-dance under the light of the moon.
9. becoming a regular at my shoe place and having a "shoe guy" who keeps me in the shoe loop {and who is also quite attractive}.
10. running 4.5 miles just for the hell of it.

So...those were my highlights. And I'm pretty sure I left out some major happenings, but give me a break. It's January 2nd and I am still trying to recooperate from the long vacation I just had.

My new years goals/resolutions were created last night, whilst I was falling asleep. My friend told me how she is interested in making attainable goals - short term and long term. I like her style, and so I'm partially copying her, but these are definitely things I'm interested in doing this year. And I hope these all happen.

1. Use my passport.
2. In partership with goal #1, go to Turkey, Greece, or Morocco.
3. Solidify my spanish. Become fluent.
4. Also in partnership with goal #1 and goal #3 - go to south america for a month or so to soak up the culture and brush up on my language skills.
5. Start grad school in the Fall.
6. redevelop my healthy eating habits {i.e. no more nacho cheese dorito binges and settle down with all the chocolate truffles}
7. use my gym membership, even if it is only $17 a year - it's still important to be physically fit and preserve this rock hard body.
8. develop my photography skills and re-organize my photos.
9. learn how to make good curry
10. work on my knitting - learn how to do a cable stitch

Already this year is shaping up to be great. I said all my swears at midnight to induct those into 2008 and went on a shopping spree at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Oh and the last 2 nights have been spent with loved ones and friends, and that will continue into tonight, when I see my friends band, The Nunchucks at the Black Cat!

2 comments:

leslie said...

made it on your list! whew. i guess that means we're really bff! ok now i sort of want to do my own list. MAYBE. too bad i didnt try heroin in 2007 cuz that woulda made it on the list fosho. uh. j/k, everyone. j/k.

The Sullengers said...

Those are some great New Years resolutions. We made some with friends during their FHE night. We had to make one spiritual, one physical, one intellectual, and one social. Mine aren't as cool as yours - time to rethink my resolutions...just kidding. But looks like life is great for you! I am so excited for you!