Aug 7, 2007

Curried Colcannon

I have been wanting to start posting some of my culinary feats for awhile now. Unfortunately, there haven't been many. However, last night I stumbled upon something simple and spectacular.

I am calling it Curried Colcannon.

It's essentially Irish Colcannon, with a dash of garam masala in place of salt and pepper.

Ingredients:
2 Potatoes
1/2 cup Cabbage
1/2 small Onion
1 TB Butter
1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
salt to taste


1. Cut up potatoes and place in pot of boiling water for 7-10 minutes, or until tender.
2. Add cabbage and onion {I sliced both into portions about 2 inches long} to boiling water. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Drain well.
4. Mash together, while adding butter, salt and garam masala to taste.

It was so easy to make and it is also low in fat and calories. A little starchy, but perfect for a good comfort dinner! It was seriously so so yummy! I can see this becoming a winter staple in my kitchen.

4 comments:

leslie said...

you hungry, you hungry. yo momma says you hungry. i definitely need to try this one! we should start making dinner together, roomie!

Eric said...

That is awesome. I make a recipe that is almost exactly the same. I start with a generous serving of creamy mashed potatoes, layered with sweet corn and loaded with bite-sized pieces of crispy chicken. Then I drizzle it all with my signature home-style gravy and top it off with a shredded three-cheese blend. It's all of my favorite flavors coming together.

Eric said...

Wait. Wait... I just described KFC's Mashed Potato Bowl. Sorry about that. But holy crap those are delicious.

leslie said...

as you know i tried my own version of this last night. DELICIOUS! and i still say: screw all this cooking for ourselves. let's join forces, madame!

[ps, i was going to make a lot of food last night for everyone but didn't, on account of i wasn't sure how much to make, plus it has been so long since i cooked for anyone else i didn't want to screw up and embarass myself. i felt kinda bad eating in front of everyone tho...]