Aug 10, 2007

Dreams of hatred

There are 2 kinds of people in this world.

Those who remember and analyze their dreams and those who Just. Don't. Care.

I totally care and analyze the living goodness out of all my lucid and non lucid dream experiences. When I was younger I had an unhealthy obsession with it, which probably directly influenced my younger sister into also becoming a Dream Freak. I can say this with confidence because I bought her a Dream Book. It has topics and categories of different dreams and even a Dream Notebook, in which to record all your dreams as soon as you wake up. Because folks, if you don't write it down when you wake up chances are you will quickly forget. I used to try and steal my sisters Dream Notebook in order to find out what a huge psychopath she was, and how much she also felt repressed in our home. Anyway, every time I go back home, I manage to find this book and research all my latest dreams in order to discover what a psychopath I am becoming.

Last night I had a dream about moving. I packed up a huge moving truck with all my belongings and left it, locked up, in front of my house. There were rumors of Moving Truck Thieves running around my dream neighborhood. I didn't listen though, and to my great astonishment I looked out my window to see 2 guys hitching my moving truck to their truck. I ran outside, cursing at them. I can honestly tell you that I have never said the F Word so many times in a repeated fashion in my life. Unless you count the time I missed my flight to Peru because I completely overslept. But that is a completely different story that involves Bears, Crepes and Front Porch Couch Make outs. We won't discuss that here.

Anyway I woke up, mid swearing and mid chasing the bad guys, to my alarm thinking - Screw. That. I've got a dream to finish!! I went back to sleep and was fashionably late for work this morning.

So forget about my tardiness. The important thing here is that I am noticing a trend in my dreams lately. This is not the first time I've had a bout of the Dream Swears. I swear like a little sailor. Like a Sailor in a Guy Ritchie movie. It's becoming a problem, due to the fact that I wake up wanting to swear at everyone in my way. Not a good way to make friends in town.

I will, however, tell you what IS a good way to make friends in town. Carry around a plate of cupcakes. You will get so many smiles and Ooooo's and Mmmm's. Seriously, just give it a try.

So, I am interested to know - what are some of your reoccurring dream patterns?

4 comments:

Jen Evans said...

Was I the sister or was Mary? Regardless, I woke up the other night in the middle of an intense dream of which I cannot remember because I didn't write it down and Elizabeth was crying and I woke up AJ and told him to take care of her. I wanted to go back to sleep and finish my dream!

I talked to AJ's uncle who is a therapist about this reoccuring dream I have where I am on stage at a choir concert and everyone knows the words and the dance except me and I am expected to perform. He said that I am not confident about the things that I can actually do. So true, so true. But I think it is just my inner whatever reminding me of every solo I butchered.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Three recurring:

I am somewhere without clothing. And trying to get from place to place without being seen.

The second is that I am not going to graduate from college because of a class I've forgotten to take. It is usually a calculus class and I never remembered that I signed up for it until just before the final. Then, no matter what I do, I cannot get to it and all these things come up in the way.

Just before I go back to teaching after a short (or long) break, I have nightmares about teaching. I'm horrible and all I do is scream and no one will listen. My classes have 50 kids plus in them and they are all the worst students I've ever had. I'm always late for class in these dreams and dressed in hideous clothing.

I've always chalked the first up to a fear of people finding out how I really am and thinking I'm worthless. The second to always wondering if I'm good enough--meeting the standard you know. The third to just nerves.

The Sullengers said...

When I was younger I always dreamed I was a goonie (you know the show) but other than that, I can't really remember...

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Funny follow up. Yesterday at church, one of our friends tells my hubby that when he was much younger he had a swearing habit. He kicked it. Then a few months after he's married, his wife confronts him about him talking in his sleep. She goes to bed with Peter Priesthood, but wakes up in the middle of the night next to a Sailor, apparently. He said he was completely embarrassed. He didn't ever say if the problem still occurs . . .