Aug 6, 2007

The August Diet

I don't have any money. Or not nearly as much as I would like. *Cue the violin*

I mean, what's the point in being so drop dead sexy if you are not rich? I have to cover these gorgeous feet with expensive shoes! I need that new wool winter coat with the darling buttons, even if it is 97 degrees outside! I need to be surrounded by beautiful things and eat healthy, organic, foods that cost atleast $12 a pound!

After musing over these thoughts all day yesterday I came to a conclusion. I am the worst kind of consumer. I am a Consumer in Denial. I didn't realize how much I have been spending and wanting and thinking about silly things to buy all the time, until I saw this video.

And so, I am putting myself on an August Diet. No purchases of frivolity for the entire month. No shoes, no clothes, no trinkets for my desk, no new frames to hang on my walls, no candles, no expensive restaurants, no movies, no NOTHING! If I'm going to save for South America, I need to start somewhere. Mark my words, I will not purchase anything for the remaining 25 days {barring any unforeseen circumstances and/or trips out of town where I might have to splurge a tiny bit}.

It's AUGUST DIET!!!

2 comments:

Team O'Connor said...

Oh, you make me feel so good about myself. No one can do 5 pull ups! I am impressed that you ran the mile and a half in 10:55. Not an easy feat.
Um, yes, I also am a shopaholic and have also recently discovered this while going through my things to get rid of before I leave for the Air Force. Uh, I really thought I needed the 18 pillows from Pier 1 for my bed, but now it just seems unnecessary. Haha. Girls love to shop. My August Diet consists of bumming off others. You know how you always have that friend that bums off everyone. That's me right now. I've never been that person and it's kinda humiliating, but I'm giving it a try. Could save you some money anyways.

leslie said...

It's so true. Sometimes I don't even care what I'm buying, I just like the feeling of power and importance that comes from purchasing. However I don't feel so powerful anymore when I look at my bank statement.

Luckily the feeling returns in small increments when I decorate myself or my room [or whatever] with the treasures I have collected. Oh no. I'm not even in a mall right now and I'm trying to convince myself that further purchases are there waiting for me! I NEED HELP!! :)