Aug 28, 2007

To everything there is a season

As I was running through my neighborhood last night, I couldn't help but think: I cannot wait for autumn! Now the funny thing is (and I'm sure you could discover this by reading my blog history), toward the end of every season I am always dying for the next one to arrive.

Spring: I'm so sick of all the rain and summer teasers. Let it be hot already! Vacation!
Summer: It's so bloody hot, I swear I could melt on this very sidewalk. Give me some cool autumn breeze.
Autumn: Enough of all these nasty leaves all over the ground and the rain. I want some holiday snow!
Winter: Holidays are over, February is the worst, if somebody doesn't warm things up around here I am moving to India.

As I was musing over the fact that I wish I could just go to the places of the world where the weather is always pleasant (what am I - like 80 years old?), I realized that we have seasons for a very good reason. I'm sure most people really desire change in their lives. Most people choose a place to live and permanently settle in this area. They move into a home, send their children to a good school, and get comfortable in their lifestyle. If the weather was always 75 and sunny with a light breeze, you would want to go somewhere else to experience a little climate change, right? I think that is why seasons are so brilliant. You are able to feel like you live somewhere different in a snow covered world compared to the swealtering summer heat.

Plus, seasons help create a feeling of nostalgia. When it is cold, I always want to cuddle up inside with hot chocolate and watch old Cary Grant movies. When it is hot, I want to be lazy or play in the lake and eat slurpees. There is always a drink involved in my nostalgic memories. I guess autumn is tea or chai and spring would have to be juice. There you have it.

But seriously, South America for the winters and Alaska for the summers! Who's with me?

2 comments:

Lars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lars said...

Seaons are what I miss most since moving to Arizona. We only have two here-hot and less hot. I want to see the leaves change!! I want to have my car buried under three feet of snow and slip and fall on the ice. Ok, maybe not that last one, but I still miss it!!