Feb 24, 2009

On spoiling myself.

Take a minute to think about the last time you took yourself out somewhere nice. You know, you don't always need someone to take you - and in fact it is kind of exhilarating going out on the town alone. Free to go where you want! Free to stop into a little shop! Free to eat anything!

I have actually been spoiling myself quite a bit since the weekend. Friends Iggy, Mary D and Mei came into town to be new yorkers for the day! It was a blast to see them all and tour around the city, eating devilishly good brunch at Community Food and Juice, visiting little Russia aka Brighton Beach, pizza and flea market in Brooklyn, it wasn't long enough! But I love my girls. They are all such lovely ladies and I love our conversations - life, love, jobs, literature, movies, politics, etc, etc. Girl time is so good.




Mary D stayed for an extra day so we went out on the town. Complete with more pizza and dancing at Covo, Harry's burritos, Magnolia cupcakes, and scoping out the guys in Manhattan 8th ward (for her, not me TH). Oh and Dylan's Candy Bar. Mmmm....candy.

Anyway tonight I really took myself out. I had a great time with me - I took myself to Maoz falafel, then to the ballet to see a "short stories" - a mixed repertory of romeo and juliet, swan lake, tin soldier, and slaughter on 10th street. SO GOOD. I'd try and describe it, but I will instead just say - go see a ballet. They are so lovely and inspiring, and yes I cried. I always do. I took skittles with me. I made friends with the girl next to me. I went to the bookstore afterwards and purchased 4 new books.

Man, I took myself OUT. I feel like myself again. I lose myself periodically going through my grad school program. It really takes a lot out of you - which is why it's so important to restore once in a while. Plus, it's just fun to spoil yourself sometimes.

2 comments:

modestmuse said...

I love it! I spoil myself far too much (with food) but not the way you do -- fun stuff like books and ballets! I really want to see a ballet now!! p.s. I thought it was me in the first pic -- something about her hair and smile was familiar. p.p.s. you scare me -- I am starting an online grad program on Mon. and I hope I can juggle it with work and merrymaking!

modestmuse said...

Mei, that is -- in the first pic.