May 17, 2010

i am a runner.


i did it!

i ran 6.2 miles straight.

i finished at just around an hour. i never ever thought it was possible for this body to run for a long time, let alone for 6 miles, but it was great and slightly enjoyable at times! i would be running and just feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for my health and my body that is able to keep up with my brain and my brain that allows my body to keep going. it was perfect weather and being around people all running to challenge themselves was a new thing for me. i definitely got a high from the race. chills were running through me, my mind felt expanded, and i just kept getting flooded with this feeling of exhilaration.

and then mile 5 came. UG, mile 5 i hated you so much. you encompassed my feelings of self-doubt and my inner captain said "you can't do this, you have to stop". you had a hill that almost made me walk. but i conquered you after repeating, outloud, "keep going. don't stop. you can do this." and it worked.

after the race i collapsed at stanton park, went to church for an hour, then went home and slept for about 4 hours.

i am just marveling today at how cool my body is for cooperating with my goal. and how cool TH is for running by my side the entire race and giving me high fives. he is such a good partner and i'm so glad he was there to encourage me and be my friend during the race!

and now the question is, what next?

oh yeah, and the snickers bar wasn't even that good. i'd rather have the Mile 2 High than a snickers bar any day.

2 comments:

hanner said...

yayeah! good job girlfriend. next you will conquer a marathon.

JD said...

your "what's next?" is a scary line of questioning. don't make it a marathon.