May 19, 2010

marriage is boring and hilarious.

last night, TH and i had a big night out. we started at target, and ended on the couch eating Kashi cereal and lucky charms, extolling the virtues of colored marshmallows. ok, right this is not your idea of a big night. well, it was the first glimpse of the normal boring parts of marriage that still make me laugh.

like here are a few conversations we had while in target.

me: "what do you think of these blankets? hmm...i really like this one"
TH: "oh my gosh, i do not care."
me: "why don't you ever let me have any fun?"
(we laughed about this later, that my idea of fun is looking at target blankets. awesome.)

me: "did you get double sided tape?"
TH: "yeah, two rolls"
me: "hmm, do you think scotch brand is better than target brand?"
TH: "i'm sure it doesn't matter"

me: "hey should we get a waffle iron?"
TH: "uhh, sure. yeah i don't care"
me: "well, you should care. this means you could eat waffles at home."
TH: "ok, let's get it then."
me: "ahh, i think i'll probably just get one at williams sonoma."

me: "look at this cereal. it has tons of good stuff in it."
TH: ....
me: "fiber, omega 3, whole wheat, strawberries..."
TH: ....
me: "and wow, it's so good too! do you want to try some?"
TH: "this is the lamest conversation i've ever had."

are you bored yet? hahaha, i don't know why i think all these conversations are hilarious. just like when i told TH i ordered new checks from the bank and he looked at me like he would pass out from boredom.

i think i'm going to start talking in verse or rapping the boring stuff. that will make it even funnier for me and maybe a little funny for TH, too.

6 comments:

hanner said...

what you should do is take a boarder for a few weeks. we've had one for over two weeks now and it's made life a lot more interesting. (i'm ready for her to leave.)

Jen Evans said...

Yeah, welcome to my life. I am the queen of talking AT my husband. "then we did this and this and lizzie said this and we did this and that and look over there don'tyouthinkbirdsaresocutebutiwouldneverwanttohaveone"

JD said...

TH rocks. I can totally relate to his pragmatism.

modestmuse said...

Love this post!! And yes, I talk AT my husband, too. It gets even more boring-hilarious because besides not caring, his ADD kicks in so he'll leave the room ("I'm still listening ..."), or chase the cat, or actually start READING something and I'm all "HEY, over HERE, FOCUS!" and then I realize I've been going into minute detail, with awful delivery, about the funny thing so-and-so said, the dumb thing that happened at work, the weird thing I ate for lunch, blah blah blah he's about to die of boredom. Maybe you, too, after this long comment?

mj said...

ha ha ha ha. i think we actually take turns being on both sides of conversations like this, though i'm more likely to end it by saying "omygoshidon'tcare" and he's more likely to leave the room.

Julie said...

i love hearing your stories about this, too! glad i'm not the only one. :)