Nov 1, 2007

Lists

Because I have recently been in a constant state of confusion, I have a feeling this weekend I will be in need of some serious respite.

Serious.

I'm exhausted. I'm tired of thinking about all the things I need to do and the responsibilities that I'm not living up to. Ever feel like you don't have enough positive encouragement in your life? I just feel like I've been beaten down over the past few months. And it seems like most people around me feel that way, too. What is going on? Does anyone else feel this way? What do you do to get rid of the blahs?

Because I am somewhat of a compulsive list maker, here are some things I usually like to do for distraction purposes, or to organize my life:

1. Watch a good movie, like High Fidelity or Love Actually.
2. Bake bread or cookies.
3. Decorate and beautify my surroundings.
4. Go for a walk.
5. Make a list of grad schools I want to go to, divided into Schools I Can Definately Get Into and Schools in Which I Will Need to Kiss a Large Amount of Arse.
6. Dance to a fun song - currently Eve, Tambourine.
7. Clean and organize my closet.
8. Take a long and unapologetic nap.
9. Retail therapy.
10. Apply for jobs.
11. Write emails to high-powered people and see who responds.
12. Look at pictures of my friends and family.
13. Research something I know nothing about, most recently a Kibuttz.
14. Make a to-do list of things I've already done and feel gratification of crossing off the to-do's.
15. Call someone in my family.
16. Call an old friend.
17. Go see a foreign movie with a friend.
18. Drink a big mug of hot cocoa.
19. Cook an elaborate meal.
20. Dream about getting a dog and what its name will be.

There. 20 things I can do today to feel better. What do you have to add?

3 comments:

modestmuse said...

Besides staying up all night reading blogs? Quitting one's job! Which I did on Tues.!! Quite liberating, except to my spending abilities. I think the job was a necessary casualty of the recent, widespread blah affliction you mentioned. More regularly I like to get pedicures; they provide some sort of perverse sense of superficial well-being in not having to worry about what your feet look like for a month or so at a time.

leslie said...

ooh i like the dog idea because it automatically leads to another opportunity to make a list! (the name list). (i too love lists).

running is very therapeutic for my soul... have i ever mentioned that? do i talk about it to much? am i obsessed?

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's funny about the Tambourine song by Eve...I have it taped off of VH1 and my dogs love the little dance I do to it! I get out my feather duster and wave it around, like in the video, and fluff them with it and they think they are oh so special!