Nov 7, 2007

Parking=Tears and the Pulling out of Hairs

When I went to school in the lovely valley of Cache, there loomed one ever-present problem on campus. There was never ANY parking. And the school knew it. The parking police racked up enough money from unknowing students and visitors to build a pool on the 4th floor, and there's not even a fourth floor. They racked up so much money that they changed Cache Valley to Cash Valley. They racked up so much money that they were able to build ANOTHER wal-mart.

Anyway. I digress.

They recently built a huge parking structure to suit the growing needs of students and visitors who weren't, in fact, trying to screw the system and just park wherever they wanted - we actually couldn't find spaces and were forced to either stay in our place past the metered time or park in an illegal spot. Which I did ALL the time. I racked up my share of tickets, and I was glad to leave that town when I graduated.

That being said - last week I requested my transcripts be sent to another college for grad school. My Alma-mater sent me an email stating that my transcripts were on hold because of a parking violation. What?

Wait, wait, wait. So...you're telling me I graduated with no problem, no holds or anything...and now I have a parking hold? That seems strange.

So I called up the parking office and the sweet old parking office lady told me I had a ticket from MAY 2005. Two-thousand-freaking-five? How is that even possible? I graduated in December 2005 without any holds. And, by the way, it's nearly 2008. Can't we just let bygones be bygones?? It blows my mind that a ticket can stay on your record for 2 1/2 years without anyone batting an eye. Then just when you think you can call someone up and order transcripts, you have to pay a $25 fine. I couldn't even dispute it because I was in some sort of Parking Shock.

It was awful. It was degrading. As much as I miss Ruby, I'm so so glad I don't have a car anymore. So much hassle. Oh, and thanks be to all those who give me rides, without whom I couldn't take trips to Manassas.

7 comments:

leslie said...

i still don't have a copy of my diploma, and it's for some similar, equally ridiculous issue. i can't even remember what the holdup is. i would have just paid it, but every time i've called to request it (forgetting about the holdup thing) i have had a zero (or possibly negative) bank account balance. shoot, i bet it will apply to my transcripts, too. sheesh.

leslie said...

and while we're on the subject of diplomas, apparently we should have all gone to Subway school because they have no qualms giving out their well-deserved diplomas. i still chuckle every time i think of Laura C's framed Subway diploma hanging over her bed.

Eric said...

We've got to strike back at that no good dean. I'm thinking bra bomb on this one.

Anonymous said...

hey julie. i just wanted to let you know you have a hold on your christmas gifts account. remember when you stole my proactiv lotion from the bathroom while i was visiting home? yeah. you owe me $26. or im not giving you that grad school recommendation.

Lars said...

Yeah, so remember when you had me return your library book after graduation? And how I got a ticket for parking on a red curb because it had already snowed two feet and I didn't feel like walking in a blizzard? And how it was December 23 so I figured no one would be patrolling that close to Christmas? And then how I ended up getting my car impounded and had to pay $125 to get it back AFTER I HAD GRADUATED all for returning a STUPID LIBRARY BOOK THAT WASN'T EVEN MINE!! yeah, I'm still bitter at USU (but not at you even though this may have sounded like i was)

Eric said...

Was the car worth $125? I would have considered telling them to keep it.

Julie said...

Dearest Larsiepants,
GET OVER IT.

Love,
Gnomie

Just kidding. Look, I'm sorry! I just knew I was going to be dirt poor you were going to be a millionaire one day and you could AFFORD to pay that impound fee. And look- I was right!

Eric,
Lets totally get them. I'll start freezing my bras tonight.

Laura,
Christmas is just around the corner. Hold onto your pants. no, seriously - hold onto them because there is waaay too much crack going on.

Iggy,
Transcripts are not worth it. If these grad schools don't believe me, they don't deserve my business. Or yours. BOYCOTT!